For quite some time now I’ve been using raw cacao powder in foods such as bliss balls, raw desserts, and smoothies. It has helped curb my husband’s insane sweet tooth and helped keep my kids away from the not so great for you sugar-laden treats. These bliss balls were made over the recent Christmas season, replacing the chocolate truffles and rum balls that usually make an appearance every year. I whipped them up in 5 minutes on a Saturday afternoon, just before we were about to go to my older sisters Christmas party. So the first taste tester was my husband Matt. Of course, he loved them! But I really wanted to get some truly honest feedback from chocoholics not used to eating raw cacao powder. So since my dad was picking us up very soon to go to my sister’s house, I decided he would be next. I gave one to him not really telling him what it was… Success! He liked them too. Last but not least I decided to take one to my brother in law… Just on a side note, can you see the trend here? The men in my family are the true chocoholics! I think its only a myth that it’s the women who can’t resist chocolate… Well in my family at least. Anyway, he was also a fan.
So here’s some information on why I love this raw cacao superfood. Obviously, because it tastes like chocolate but has no refined sugar which is amazing! But my favorite benefit would have to be the insane amount of antioxidants in it. We’ve all heard how eating a small amount of dark chocolate every day is good for you. Well yeah, that’s true but this is even better. It can up to 40 times the amount of antioxidants as blueberries! Also, it is the highest plant-based source of iron. This would have to be my favorite perk as a woman who has struggled with iron levels since my teens. Plus it has more calcium than cows milk, so just again proving that calcium can come from many plant-based sources. Importantly though, this product is not ridiculously unaffordable. Because the powder is so rich a large bag easily lasts me a month and I use it frequently!
Amazing chocolate bliss balls you won’t believe are healthy!
- 1/2 cup of dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup nuts (I used walnuts)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- pinch pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Place all ingredients in food processor. Setting aside 2 tablespoons of cacao powder and 1 tablespoon of coconut for rolling.
- Blitz in the food processor on a high setting until mixture is well combined and begins to form a ball. If the mixture is too dry add a splash of water, if too wet add a tablespoon of almond meal.
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in a bowl.
- On a flat surface such as a chopping board, sprinkle remaining cacao powder and coconut.
- Begin rolling mixture into balls, then rolling onto the board. Evenly coating them with cacao powder and coconut mixture.
- Then place the ball onto a plate lined with baking paper and repeat until all mixture is used.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes
- Then ENJOY!